For support in English, ask for help at Nintendo Homebrew on Discord.
If you appreciate this guide, we accept Donations.
This is an add-on section for formatting an SD card to work with the 3DS.
If the 3DS already recognizes the SD card, this guide is not required.
Section I - Determining which slot your SD card is in
- Make sure your SD card is not inserted
- Launch the Linux Terminal
- Insert your SD card into your PC
- Observe the output. It should match something like this:
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT mmcblk0 179:0 0 3,8G 0 disk └─mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 3,7G 0 part /run/media/user/FFFF-FFFF
- Take note of the device mount point. In our example above, it was
ROis set to 1, make sure the lock switch is not slid down
- Hit CTRL + C to exit the menu
Section II - Formatting the card
- Type in
sudo cfdisk /dev/(device mount point from above)
- On each partition, hit
- Create a new Primary partition that covers the size of your entire SD card
- This will create a new partition with the linux filesystem
- Select type and take a look at the menu
- Find “W95 FAT32” and take note of the code on the left side of that text
- Press any key, then enter the code you took note of in the previous step
- Hit enter, then hit Quit